mardi, mai 03, 2005

Love

Lots of things have been said on the subject, especially recently. According to biologists and chemists love is a chemical reaction, which like almost all such reactions, stops when the reacting elements are consumed. Maybe so, there are some things, however, I just don’t want to know. Could it be said then that my daughter, who has the biggest love for me, although she’s barely a year old, and who starts crying the moment I’m out of her sight, who will feed me a piece of bread if I give it to her, just because she wants to make sure I’m so much cared for as she is, who will nestle herself in my arms and hug me ever so gently until time itself stops, loves me in a chemical sort of way?

I just don’t think so. There are certainly people who love chemically, I have to agree with that. They have always stipulated that they cannot be sure of their feelings tomorrow because the love they feel may disappear just like the disappearing cat from Alice in Wonderland. In this case maybe we really have this newfangled phenomenon in action. And they feel so much the happier now that it has been scientifically supported. For those scientifically advanced mortals I have this proposition – that they start raising money for the following invention – a love-gauge that will truly show the amount of the reacting elements that they think they have, and it’s very likely that they really do, which will save them many an awkward moment in a relationship.

They could just say: “Look honey but they are going. How prudent of me to take a look today! I could have loved you another day or two. Now let’s spare ourselves the effort and let go.” Wonderful, isn’t it? In combined use with the already existing and well working love-getter it would be simply indispensable.

For those benighted laymen who don’t know what this is I can provide a brief explanation – the love-getter is an electronic device which can be tuned in to sex or morning coffee and the person who has the same tuning and is within reach will receive an audible signal in his/her gadget. Then he or she will start closing in on the similarly tuned creature and they will do their thing.

When I shared this news with a friend of mine he said: “but what about the thrill of the moment, the suggestive unknown, the fantasies we start building?”

I told him: “All that be damned. Live in this world man, or tomorrow we could be the only people out of tune and then we’d have to communicate between ourselves only and I don’t want to convert myself now. I’m just a little too old for a newly made homosexual.”

He said I was right and asked me where he could get it. I told him to wait a little longer until my suggestion was carried out, of which event I don’t have the least of doubts and then we could safely step into the ever changing world and be happily modern.

What about my daughter? I think you may ask yourself this question. I know that her love isn’t and won’t ever be scientifically challenged. I can also picture you asking another question: “How could I know that?” To this I’ll say I just know it and I’m happy to be able to say it. Whoever is unable to produce this simple sentence needs to rush and go find the inventor of the love-gauge. I’ll claim no author’s rights for the patent.

Aucun commentaire: